If you have ever wanted to get into kayaking, but you find yourself a little too tall to fit in them, then the chances are that you just haven’t found the right kayak for your needs. Luckily, help is at hand, as there are plenty of kayaks out there that are designed for taller swimmers.
If you are taller and have ever been in a regular-sized kayak, then you might have already noticed that you’re experiencing cramps in your legs and feet because they are lying still for so long.
The deck of a regular kayak might also not be wide enough to accommodate your limbs, which might lead to further circulatory problems.
But if you are needing a kayak for a taller person, then you’ll need to make sure that you know the measurements before buying one.
If you have less space in your kayak, then the chances are you will have less room to store the gear on your boat. If you are going fishing, this will severely impede your fishing trip.
So where can you get the best kayaks for tall people? What materials should a kayak for tall people be made from?
What features should a larger kayak have to allow you enough room to move around and get comfortable for longer journeys? How much will you have to pay for a larger kayak?
Well, if you want answers to all of these kayak questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best kayaks that you can get for taller people that will keep you moving and allow plenty of storage space for your fishing equipment.
OUR TOP PICK
This first kayak is really great if you consider yourself to be taller than average. It has an adjustable seat that you can use to extend backward, giving you as much legroom as you could possibly need.
This will improve the safety and stability of your kayak when it is out on the water - introducing the Lifetime Tamarack Angler.
This has a very deep hull, which will give you that added protection from the water, which is great if your pockets are full of your personal electronic devices such as your phone and your tablet device.
This boat has a maximum capacity of 250-pounds, which is great for larger users also.
- This kayak is completely kitted out for your fishing needs, coming with flush-mounted rod holders that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a stable fishing experience.
- This has a very deep and wide hull, allowing you to stay mounted and give you everything that you need for plenty of wiggle room.
- This comes with very durable aluminum paddles that will help keep you and your kayak steady when you are out on the water.
- If you are over 6 feet tall, then you will still have plenty of room in your kayak. You can also fit your fishing equipment in this boat with ease.
- The price - with an added comfort comes to an additional price, this should only be bored by die-hard kayakers who will be taking to the water more than once a week.
This next kayak is great if you are thinking of simply taking out your fishing vessel on the still lakes and waters and casting out your rod to get some fish.
This will give you complete control over your vessel, which as we all know is very important when you are out on the water - introducing the Perception Pescador Pilot 12.
This kayak is very capacious, having plenty of space in the hull for anyone to move around, even if you are taller.
This can also absorb plenty of abrasions and UV lighting, both of which can severely damage the integrity of your vessel over time.
You can also store plenty of gear on this kayak, which makes it the perfect companion for fishing trips.
- This boat can be protected from even the harshest of environments, giving you everything that you need for a smooth sailing experience.
- This will allow you hassle-free fishing, keeping you stable and secure on the surface of the water for long periods of time.
- This comes with a cooler, so you can store plenty of beers and even a bungee cord that you can use to keep your fishing gear free from water.
- If you are a new fisher, then you might expect this vessel to hit the rocks more times than not. Luckily this boat is made from technology that makes it very resistant to scratches and bumps.
- Another very expensive unit, you might not want to break the bank on this kayak if you are only thinking about taking it out on the waters a few times a month.
This next kayak is one of the most lightweight designs that we have on this list, with two retractable handles that make it very easy to carry to and from your car.
This is also a sit-on-top model, so you’ll have more than enough room to stretch your legs and increase circulation when you are out fishing - introducing the Pelican Sit-On-Top Kayak.
This comes with a bottle holder and a place to rest your fishing rods, which will be very important if you are keeping your rods in place.
You can also store the paddle of this one in the housing of your boat. This is constructed from very durable polyethylene, which will help you support a larger fisher.
- This kayak can store upwards of 325-pounds, making it perfect for the larger kayaker who likes to take to the water.
- This is constructed from one of the toughest materials that you can get on the market, which will make it very resistant to dents and dings.
- This is great if you are considering it for your first kayak, having everything that you’ll need for a solid foundation and enough features to give you a great fishing experience.
- This is a very long-lasting kayak, you can expect it to last you for at least a few years, even if you are taking it on a lot of water adventures.
- This might be a little too heavy-duty for first-time kayakers, who might be finding it hard to steer this one through rougher waters.
Next up, we have a kayak that is made from a high-density material that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a solid fishing experience.
This weighs around 250-pounds and is 6 feet in length. This is great if you are a large user and you want to keep your feet moving as you fish - introducing the Driftsun Rover 120/220 inflatable Tandem White-Water Kayak.
As you can tell from the title, this vessel is made to handle the rougher waters. It is also an inflatable boat, so you can deflate it quite easily and store it in the back of your boat.
This is one of the most portable units, you can take this one out with you and your family, which is great if you want to show them the ropes… or should we say the fishing lines?
- This kayak has one of the best tracking that we’ve seen from a kayak. You can glide smoothly through the water, mainly in part to its hardened nose.
- This can support up to 300-pounds of weight, making it great if you are a taller kayaker. It is also very long, giving you plenty of wriggle room in the feet.
- This one comes with a cup holder and a place to put your fishing rods, it is simply great when it comes to lying back on the deck and watching the world go by.
- This will be perfect for taller individuals who have found regular kayaks are too cramped and caused them dead legs and other such issues.
- This kayak might have the resilience that some pro-kayakers are looking for and might get from a more hard-shelled kayak.
Finally, we have one of the most heavy-duty kayaks, designed to have perfect balance and versatility.
This boat will take shoving to actually tip over, which makes it great if you are a taller fisherman who likes to struggle with a weighty catch when they are out on the waves - introducing the Lifetime Two Person Tandem Fishing Kayak.
This is made from high-quality roto-molded materials that will allow you plenty of room and can hold a massive weight of around 550-pounds.
This is perfect if you are a larger fisherman and you want to load up your fishing vessel with plenty of gear. This has a very simple design, which you can mold to the surface of your body.
- This one comes with multiple footrests that will highly increase the comfort level of your fishing experience.
- This one comes at an amazing price, you won’t have to worry about it cutting into your budget. This is great for first-time kayakers.
- This also has an adjustable seat, which is another boon for kayakers of larger stature.
- This comes with built-in fishing rod holders, so if you are a fan of hurling your rod out and snaring more lively fish, then we would certainly recommend you consider this rod.
- This is a very bulky unit, which will make transportation very difficult. If you do not have a heavy vehicle that can carry this, we might suggest you look at another model.
Best Kayaks For Tall Person Buying Guide
If you are taller and are browsing for kayaks, then we would suggest that you make sure it has the following features:
How Roomy Is It?
If you are at least 6 feet tall, we would suggest that you get a kayak that is a minimum of around 10 feet in length. This will give you plenty of room to stretch out and also help your boat balance on the water.
How Wide Is It?
The wideness will certainly determine how well it sits on the water, reducing the amount that it will wobble. You will be doing an activity on the boat, especially if you are fishing, so you’ll need to make sure that it can take some of this pressure.
Best Kayaks For Tall Person - FAQ's
What Is The Difference Between A Sit-In And Sit-On-Top Kayak?
The sit-in kayak is the type where your legs will disappear into the body of your kayak, whereas a sit-on-top will have you perched on the top of your kayak.
The latter will give you a lot more room to move around on your kayak, whereas the sit-in version is a lot more secure and tight-fitting.
What Is A Touring Kayak?
A touring kayak is one that you can take over long distances. These boats are generally narrower for improved tracking, giving you everything that you’ll need for speed and consistent direction. If you are a taller kayaker, you might find it difficult to find a touring kayak that will suit your size.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of kayaks for taller people has helped to find the one that you think will be suitable for you. Remember, that the more comfortable the kayak is then the longer you’ll be able to remain on its surface.