If you’ve ever been out on the water in your kayak, especially for a long period of time, then you’ll be well aware of how uncomfortable sitting in the same spot for extended periods of time can be. This is where having the right seat will be crucial to keeping you in the chair for longer.
If you are looking for a chair to replace your existing old one, then there are plenty on the market that come with a whole range of features.
Whether it is a retractable backrest or a padded foam in the bottom that will help you to remain comfortable. You can even get memory foam chairs that will mold to the same shape as your posterior.
The deluxe seat will also be good for reducing the amount of back pain that you’ll experience.
This is an important health issue, as circulation problems and sciatica can become a major factor that will prevent you from fishing in the long term. It will also seriously hinder you when you are trying to catch your fish.
So what are the best kayak seats for your needs? How can you have a seat that is easy to install in your existing kayak?
What materials should a really good kayak chair be made from? How much will you have to pay for one of these seats? How long can you expect your chair to last?
Well, if you want answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep on reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best kayak seats that you can currently find on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you identify the best features for your seat.
OUR TOP PICK
This first kayak seat is one of the most durable that you can find on the market, with the kayak enthusiasts comfort put first and foremost.
This is compression molded, so you can be sure that you’ll have plenty of padding in all the important areas, mainly under the thighs and the lower spine - introducing the Surf To Summit Outfitter Series Kayak Seat.
- This is a compression-molded seat, which will really help to keep your back and your upper thighs in the correct posture to allow for great blood flow.
- This comes with a basic design, but you can fold it up and store it very easily when it is not in use.
- This will give you the utmost comfort when you are ready to sit down. It will be perfect for recreational kayak enthusiasts who want to relax for hours at a time.
- This seat is handmade, woven from some of the best fabrics and double-stitched so that you won’t have to worry about water damage.
- We would consider this a basic chair rather than a luxury chair, so it might prove to be less than comfortable after you’ve sat still in it for a long time.
This next kayak is great for touring kayaks, giving you everything that you need to transport you across large distances. This comes made with a nylon that is completely resistant to water and UV-damage.
This is one of the best seats to have for outdoor kayaking - introducing the Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back.
- This seat will adapt to most body shapes, even larger fishers will find themselves more comfortable when they are on this seat.
- This comes with UV support, which will really protect your fibers from the harsh light that can often damage them unduly.
- This kayak seat will be able to match up to most styles of kayak, so if you are renovating your old kayak, you won’t have to worry about this seat not fitting in.
- This will give you a lot of support in the lower back, separating the vertebrae so that your nerves do not get trapped when you are out on the water.
- The price - this is one of the most expensive units, so unless you are a committed kayaker, then we would recommend finding something cheaper.
This next seat comes with amazing backs support, with plenty of padding with the backrest and the seat to make sure that you are maintaining a good posture.
This will be very important for promoting the circulation of blood and avoiding any cramping issues - introducing the Penban Deluxe Padded Kayak Seat.
- This seat is easy to detach, so when you are packing away your kayak, you can get rid of the seat and carry it separately.
- This seat is very comfortable, coming in a basic design that you can be certain will give the lower back some relief and support.
- This will come 14 inches off the floor, which is very important if you are looking to improve the circulation in your body and you want that extra support.
- This seat is ideal for camping, so you can even take it out of the kayak and set it up as a portable land seat.
- This seat is another very expensive and slightly basic considering the amount you might pay for other deluxe seats.
Next up, we have more deluxe options. This one has everything when it comes to comfort, durability and storage space underneath.
This will give you plenty of support around the waist and in the lower back, meaning that you won’t have to worry about succumbing to painful conditions like sciatica - introducing Leader Accessories Deluxe padded Kayak Seat.
- This seat is very versatile as it will fit in the space of most kayaks. If you look out to switch out your old basic seat with a deluxe option, you can’t go far wrong with this one.
- This has 18-inch sculpting in the back that is perfectly molded for the human spine. This will give you support and match the natural curvature of your spine.
- This will increase your ability to maneuver when you are in the seat. It is great if you prefer whitewater kayaking as opposed to regular fishing on still waters.
- This is also great for taller users that have the ability to be able to move their legs, which is very important for keeping the circulation going and avoiding cramps that can lead to you leap from your kayak.
- This one has a very tall back piece, which will really impede your ability to be able to fit it in some of the smaller models of kayak.
This next kayak seat is one of the best when it comes to resisting the harsher elements that you might experience out on the water.
It is made from very durable polyester and neoprene, which are all very resistant to tears and punctures.
This also has padded EVA foam that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for cushioning in the spine - introducing the Pactrade Marine Deluxe Kayak Seat.
- This seat comes with a detachable backpack that you can secure to the back piece. This is amazing if you want to take your personal possessions with you.
- This is a very convenient seat, with plenty of padding that you can be sure will give you plenty of support under knees where it is needed the most.
- This has UV protection, as well as protection against the elements, so you can be sure that you’ll have no damage or fading in the leather or the stitching.
- This comes with an elevated seating area, so you can even store fishing equipment and other fishing apparatus under the seat if you need to.
- This seat is expensive - coming in the luxury style that it does, you might find yourself spending more than you’re comfortable with on this chair.
Our final seat is one for those people who are desperate for back support and a little bit of circulation support under the seat.
This is made of inch-thick gel that will mold itself to the shape of your backside and your back. This is the perfect feature that you need for premium comfort - introducing the Skwoosh Mid-height Back Kayak Seat.
- This will absorb a lot of water without transferring it to the seat of your pants. This is great if you prefer whitewater rafting and expect a lot of excess moisture.
- This comes with a rear-mounted bungee cord that you can use to lash together your gear to the inside of your kayak.
- This comes with built-in bottle holders, which is great if you like to swim to a remote location, then crack open a beer and watch the sunset.
- This seat can be installed in plenty of different models of kayak, it comes with a remarkable clip-in system that practically anyone can use.
- This is another very expensive unit, so you’ll probably only want to buy it if you are out on the water for long periods and want that extra level of comfort.
Best Kayak Seats Buying Guide
If you are wanting to buy a new seat for your kayak, you’ll need to think about what you want most out of it. Do you want stability or would you prefer comfort?
Again, this will all depend on the style of kayaking that you’re doing. Here are a few things you’ll want to look out for:
What Is It Made From?
You’ll want a seat that either has foam or gel elements. Gel is really the pinnacle of comfort in your seat, as it will mold to the shape of your backside and your back.
The main thing you’ll be wanting to limit is the cramping and the sciatic pain that you’ll get from being sat in the same position for too long.
If you are more of a fan of whitewater rafting, then you’ll be looking for a spacious seat that will enable you to move around on it.
How Much Space Does It Take Up?
This will all depend on the size of your kayak. If you have a small kayak, then you can be sure that you’ll need something that will fit into the deck.
Make sure that your feet aren’t too cramped when you are paddling, otherwise, you can expect a very uncomfortable journey.
Best Kayak Seats - FAQ's
How Much With A Decent Kayak Seat Cost You?
Most likely, you won’t be paying more than a few hundred dollars for a new kayak seat. However, this will all depend on the number of features that you want for it.
If you have gel padding and an ergonomic backrest, then you can be sure that you’ll be shelling out a few more dollars.
What Accessories Can You Get With Your Seat?
You can get plenty of bottle holders and other items that will be great for recreational kayaking.
If you are a fan of kicking back in your chair, then we would also recommend that you get a model that comes with a retractable backrest. You can get kayak chairs that have arms that you can also move up and down.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best kayak chairs on the market has helped you to decide which is the best one for your needs. You’ll be wanting to look at how comfortable it is as well as how durable the material is.